The Incoherent Letter


What do you do when the only person that matters the most in your life dies; I remember how I looked forward to visiting days in secondary school just to see you, how we cried together that day you almost had an accident. The only one that understood and never shouted on me in public, remember that long list you said I should write pending your Glo job? Or the short notes you wrote me how I should start thinking of a career? Also how you sent me back to school with letters each term?  My Kelu, i miss your laugh and I still hear it, your selflessness, and our trips to the salon to relax your hair that never relaxed. My first anthology is for you and in the memory of all the books we won't get to write; You know how we stayed up late and we just talked to ourselves about any and everything that didn't even make sense; also showing up at school with gifts for me, I want those things back.

It was on a Tuesday in 2010 and I was unnecessarily moody at school that day, now I know why; I helped buy your last meal the day before I left for school; then they came to pick me that friday and I was happy but the first thing I asked was where is Ekere? I heard she is dead and I asked ehn? Mom says she is there.  We journeyed home and my first brother who I've seen cry only twice was shook and took me to mom's room and told me; I cried till my eyes were swollen shut, I sing our favorite songs to myself sometimes till it hurts too much, and oh our language I've made everybody speak it too. I also carried your teddy bear that nobody understood why you had till they took it fr me, I'm also sure you saw me read you a poem at your permanent bed side on the 22nd of september and me jump in cos I didn't want to live/leave without you. Hard doesn't even cut what my life has been, it's still empty and I have oh so much gist for you when we meet. I miss all those weird names you sprung up with; Valencia, eluluvalala, improlp... Thanks for carrying me all those years and I still have the box of all your letters. Stay Safe Best Friend, Sleep On Big Sis!
From your coco and little  writer, Elulu

Comments