NWAKAMMA

     
        I was lost in thought as I walked down the road. I thought of all the good times, the smiles, the late night conversations while you took a walk. And every thing in between. Cliché it sounds doesn't it! Well, that's what happens when you feel like this person is your world. You were my everything and all things. I blessed the name of the Lord for meeting you in the most unexplainable situation. We both were people so used to been so strong and able to stand on our two feet. We both melted each other's ice. We let down all or most of the emotional walls for each other. I could stay awake talking to you till 4am while my mom would complain at how I won't let her sleep whilst she's spending the night in my room. She'll ask; who's that? I'll smile and in my heart, I'll answer her that you are the love of my life.
        You always took a walk most nights in your estate with your dog, you say it's to clear your head and reduce the affection you feel for me. I'll chuckle and be so filled with joy how could one person make my heart dance so beautifully. We never wanted our conversations to end. You made promises, I never made those I couldn't or knew I wouldn't keep. But you said words that made my internal organs go into flight mode and I got dizzy with happiness. How you'll stick with me when anything goes wrong. How you'll be there no matter how I mess up because you know no one is perfect and I'm just human. I saved your name specially, so when I see your call. My eyes lit up, up to the extent my siblings even noticed and made jest of me. But it was alright. The stormy wave of the sea of life, you made calm. You took my virginity and it wasn't one of those silk sheets and candle light. It was a night to remember, that's if you still do.
         Surprised at my tone? Well, let's just say things change fast. It's weird to see how someone who calls you to talk to you in his drunken state by 5am couldn't understand your reaction to a mistake and goes cold on you like coffee left out too long in the cool morning breeze. You called me Nwakamma "His woman that was more beautiful than beauty itself" but where are you today... You are gone, gone in the history of my life. A closed chapter in a dusty book. How you could never forgive me and fail all your promises? And how did your sweet words turn scornful? I'll never be able to explain. You know, he has a girlfriend now, I heard. But the name he gave me still haunts me on some days when I see football or stay awake too late at night...

Comments